If you only stay in Grundarfjörður for one day we recommend the walks in Grundafjörður, you can go Kayaking, or go whale watching with Láki, and we recommend the restaurant Bjargarsteinn. Here are some of the things you can do in Grundarfjörður. And it´s always nice to end the day by whatching the sunset from our balcony.
If you stay longer, these are our suggestions:
Day 2. Drive to Stykkishólmur. But instead of driving straight we recommend that (about 10 km from Grundarfjörður) you take a left turn and visit the Shark Museum. From there you drive the same road until you are in Stykkishólmur. This takes about 50 minutes plus the time you spend at the Shark museum. When in Stykkishólmur we recommend “Sæferðir”. The Viking Sushi Adventure. Very fine tours. And to finish the day, there is a very good restaurant in Stykkishólmur, Narfeyrarstofa. But when you go home again you take the gravel road, about 19 km from Stykkishólmur (I will put a picture of where you turn left). That is a gravel road in Berserkjahraun. It´s really beautiful, you will be driving through the old lava. The drive back home takes about 1-1,5 hours.
Day 3. Drive towards Ólfsvík, but when you are about 5 km from Ólafsvík take a left turn (I will show it in a picture here later) and drive over the mountain range. You will be on the other side of the mountain in about 40-50 minutes. When you are over the mountain take a right turn. First stop is Arnarstapi, it´s a crime not to visit Arnarstapi.
From there we recommend a short walk to Fjöruhúsið, situated in Hellnar. There you can grab a bite, have some coffe of a beer.
From there (You have probably spent 4 hours by now) you should go to Djúpalónssandur.
After all of that you are very likely hungry. So now you drive on and go to Ólafsvík, but if you still got time there is a beatiful waterfall right next to Ólafsvík, Svöðufoss.
Ólafsvík has got a very good restaurant, Skerið. We recommend to order there in advance. And after a good meal, it´s time to go home. Now you have circled the pensula. And again, it´s nice to end the day with a glass of wine and see the sunset on our balcony.
- Arrive in Reykjavik and rent a car, then make your way to Grundarfjörður (approximately a 2 hour drive).
- Check into your accommodation and spend the day exploring the town. Visit the Grundarfjörður Heritage Museum, which showcases the town’s history and culture, and take a walk along the harbor, which offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and sea.
- End the day with dinner at one of the local restaurants, which specialize in fresh seafood.
- Start your day with a hike to the nearby Kirkjufell mountain, which is one of the most photographed mountains in Iceland. The hike takes around 1-2 hours round-trip and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- After the hike, drive to the nearby fishing village of Stykkishólmur, where you can take a ferry to the nearby island of Flatey. Spend the afternoon exploring the charming island, which is known for its colorful houses and tranquil atmosphere.
- Return to Grundarfjörður in the evening and enjoy dinner at one of the local restaurants.
- Spend the day exploring the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, starting with a drive to the nearby village of Arnarstapi. Take a hike along the cliffs to the neighboring village of Hellnar and visit the small museum in Hellnar, which provides an insight into the local marine life and geology.
- After the hike, drive to the southern part of Snæfellsnes and visit the black sand beach of Djúpalónssandur, known for its dramatic scenery and rocky coastline.
- End the day with dinner at one of Grundarfjörður’s restaurants and a relaxing evening in your accommodation.
I hope you enjoy your trip to Grundarfjörður!